Thursday, October 14, 2010

Free genealogy program is Oct. 22

Welcome, friends all:

As a feline, unless one has a pedigree, a family tree is nonexistent. I, for one, consider Muriel my family. I have lived at the library and, on rare occasions, at the home of friends since I was very young. I was adopted by the library. I take this for granted. People, it seems, are much more interested in their roots.

One of my human friends was recently united with her birth family. This was a big deal for her. For me it wouldn’t matter at all. With all this in mind, and because our library, though my home, was put in place for humans, Pine River Public Library is presenting a program on Genealogy. Entitled “Beginning Genealogy at Your Library” This program will take place Friday, October 22nd at 3:30PM. It is Ancestry Detectives 101. Finding your family roots is the thrust of this program. The project is funded in part or whole with money from Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage fund. Pre-registration is required, since there is limited computer seating. I tend to occupy one of the computer chairs but will give it up for this program.

Looking ahead to my favorite holiday, Halloween, our Friends of the Pine River Library has a rare treat this year. They are sponsoring a Haunted Maze at the Wildwedge Mystery Maze next to AmericInn in Jenkins. The dates for this fun time are October 29th, 30th and 31st, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Hours are 6:30PM to 8:30PM. Entrance fee is $3.00. All proceeds will go toward repaying the cost of the new library roof.

If you need more information about the Haunted Maze, or if you need to sign up for the Genealogy session, please call the library at 218-587-4639.

I remain, your friend,

Browser, the library cat

Printed in the Pine River Journal 14th October 2010

No comments: