Thursday, May 25, 2006

Browser Library Lore July 2004


Hello friends!
June is gone with a mighty flourish. We had our book sale. It was a magnificent success. Thank you to everyone. The library salutes you. Thank you as well to all the wonderful volunteers who helped to “man” the sale. It wasn’t exactly toasty warm, but you persevered, wrapped in down, drinking hot coffee, looking as cheerful as was humanly possible. I, since I am not human, did not have this issue. I already have a fur wrap.

Children:
If you are involved in the summer reading program, keep reading. For those of you who are intermediate readers, I have a suggestion. One of my friendly keepers read aloud today a book called “The Five Hundred Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins” by Dr. Seuss. It was an exciting read. This book was written in 1938 when children’s books had meat in them – probably not tuna, but meat none the less. Grownups: If you have not read this book, give it a try. It’s full of little lessons and big lessons and a wonderful plot. Dr. Seuss at his early best.

There is some guy digging in the dirt outside. I am told it has something to do with a watering system. I think this could be dangerous for me. I walk around out there all the time and am likely to get very wet. Our grass and plants and flowers will also get wet, though, which is good for them. Since I chew on them from time to time, I suppose I should be grateful. Muriel asked that I suggest to all my friends out there that if you have any plants and shrubs you wish to donate to our current landscape project, let us know. Beautification is an on-going thing here at our library. This particular beautification project is in the cooling shade. Is that pertinent? I have no idea, but you might know.

As Ogden Nash(1902 – 1971) wrote:
My garden will never make me famous
I’m a horticultural ignoramus,
I can’t tell a stringbean from a soybean,
Or even a girl bean from a boy bean.

That pretty much sums up my knowledge of gardening.

Have a lovely rest of your summer. I’ll be talking to you soon again.
-Browser

Printed in the Pine River Journal July 2004


No comments: