Friday, May 26, 2006

Browser Library Lore May 2006



Isn’t spring a lovely time of year? I can be outside eating grasshoppers and visiting my four legged friends including Beau from Gardiner’s Hardware. (He’s nice enough, but he is a dog, after all.) Muriel has been asking me to sit down with my co-scribe and write a column for you. Lazy me! I’d rather lie in the sun.

Meantime, the library has a wonderful exhibit of kites hanging from the ceiling. I’d like to take one out for a spin, but Muriel worries I’ll scratch holes in it. I wouldn’t do anything like that, honestly. The word ‘kites’ is taken from the name of a hawk-like bird noted for its graceful soaring and balancing flight. Kites were probably invented in China or Southeast Asia around 1000 BC. That isn’t “Before Cats”. We are much older as a group, living with our bi-petal friends for more than 5,000 years.

Though it is still spring, it is nearly time to begin our Summer Reading Program. This used to be limited to the shorter of your species, but we have extended the program so that teenagers can get in on the fun. Some of you teenagers, I know, have been coming into the library for a very long time, participating in the Summer Reading Program, since BB. That would be “Before Browser”.

The groups are divided thusly:
Ages 5 – 12 for the Children’s Summer Reading Program
Ages 13 – 18 for the Teen Summer Reading Program
Sign-up begins the week of June 5, and the program runs from June 12 – August 5.

Our friend, Jack Pearson, is returning to the library very soon. Jack, if you will remember, is a singer and story teller. He calls himself “Mr. Song-Strummin Storyman”.(I call myself “Mr. Satisfied Cat”.) June 13 at 2:00 PM is the time for this festive occasion. Plan to attend. Fun for all ages, large people and small people. Well, I’m going back outside.

Until the next time, I remain,
-Browser, the library cat

No comments: